Saturday, November 16, 2013

Paper Mache

Paper mache all starts with the paste! I prefer to use a cooked flour paste. I like the smooth texture and how inexpensive it is to make. I made the paste by following this recipe. I added a few drops of peppermint extract because I think it smells much nicer than just cooked flour. 

Mr. Potato Head, my faithful kitchen assistant, has gathered all of the supplies.

My secret ingredient is peppermint extract. The whole art room smells fantastic when we are working!
The paste is cooked and cooling.


In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month we have been looking at the mask traditions of Carnival in Puerto Rico. Students are using balloon bases, and working in groups to create masks inspired by the traditional masks of the island commonwealth. We've discussed three dimensional forms in the artwork as they made cones for horns, and crumpled paper spheres for eyes. Students also cut flat shapes from card board for ears and other features. 

The project will continue as they add more layers of paper mache and design the color scheme for the mask. I hope they will be ready in time for our winter art festival. 

No comments:

Post a Comment