Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pinterest Party

Our inspired principal threw a "Pinterest Party" at the end of our last planning day. Each teacher was invited to share an idea that we had gleaned from Pinterst and share with our colleagues. I know that many of us follow each other on the site, but there are some that we don't and this offered us a great opportunity to see what other teachers might be doing to improve their classrooms. 

While I have not seen this storage idea on the site of pins, I think it is pin worthy. As an art teacher I have lots of things to organize and store, I also would prefer to not spend my supply budget buying storage containers when there are perfectly suitable boxes and trays for free right here at school.


Our school cafeteria gets these fantastic cardboard boxes filled with milk. The students get milk with both breakfast and lunch, which means there are plenty of these beauties going in the recycling everyday! I asked the kitchen staff to save me a few and was surprised to have about 30 boxes by the end of the day.

I cut a label from construction paper that I could apply to the end of the box. I had these labels laminated so they were more durable and so that I could easily write on them with a wet erase marker.

The boxes have great interlocking tabs on each side which allows them to easily stack on top of each other.

As you can see I have made a start to my supply closet organizing with more materials to sort and store in the future. I like that I can label the boxes and just wipe with a damp cloth to erase and relabel as necessary.

The boxes are not quite large enough to fit a 12"x18" paper. If you are like me though, I often cut papers to a slightly smaller size for production of art. Then I use the 12"x18" paper at full size as a backing/boarder paper. So it is conceivable to use these boxes to store student artwork by table or by class.

Do you have any tips or tricks that you use for storing your supplies?

No comments:

Post a Comment